Penny, from 7201...
Sweet Kumara Pie.
I feel in love with new Orleans to go twice, and it was not just the people and the atmosphere but cajun food is amazing. I fell in love with this desert which is originally a Sweet Potato Pie, but when i came home i recreated it with kumara instead of the american sweet potato and it fast became a favourite in my family. The texture is creamy, and to die for. If anyone enjoys the desert pumpkin pie you will sure to love this. We usually use Kumara in savoury things but this recipe shows how our favouite kiwi vegie can be used in many other ways.
- 1 1/2 cups of mashed kumara (preferably ones with yellow or organge flesh
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon of allspice
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 Tbl lemon juice
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- pecan or walnut halves
- unbaked pie shell
- preheat oven at 220 degrees celcuis .
- combine all the ingredients in order, make sure they are blended well and that you do not have lumps of kumara throughout the mixture.
- Pour into pie shell. Put in the oven at this temperature for 15mins.
- Reduce heat in oven to 160 degrees celcuis for thirty minutes.
- Take out and cool.
- Serve with pecan halves or walnuts on top.
|Serves||Cooking Time||Prep Time|